The Cadfil filament winding software has frequent updates as part of our continuous process of development and improvement, Cadfil version are of the form x.yy (e.g. 8.13) where x is the major yy is the minor version number. Major version revisions represent some significant step change in the software, this page details what is new in the major release Cadfil 9.00. Note that for subsequent additions in the feature list (9.04) indicates the feature is present at Cadfil version 9.04 onwards.
Introduction and Windows Compatibility
There are many hidden changes the the user does not see, a revamp of internal data structures has been made the easier facilitate new features and enhanced memory management and allow for distribution as a 64bit Windows application. Cadfil is still currently distributed as a 32bit Windows application because there is no significant advantage in 64bit at this time. As there are still many 32bit windows computers in use at this time it would have necessitated having both 32 and 64 bit systems and installers (A 32 bit application runs on both 32 and 64 bit Windows but 64 bit application does not run on a 32bit Windows). All new PC hardware has 64 bit windows and Cadfil will become an exclusively 64 bit application at some point in the future.
Cadfil 9 has been tested with Windows 7/8/8.1 and Windows 10. Windows Vista should be OK but has not tested. Windows XP is no longer supported.
Cadfil now supports additional 3D Graphics capabilities using the OpenGL system. If the PC has a 3D graphics card that supports OpenGL then this greatly improve the user experience.
- General 3D viewing of payout paths with dynamic pan / rotate /zoom controlled by the Mouse
- Advanced 3D simulation of the winding machine machine motion
- Modelling options for machine moving parts, with both - Roll and Roll/Yaw bodies definable
- Machine Geometry file can be specified as a command line (default start up) option (/head payhead-def-file-name )
- Advanced clash detection integration with the 3D motion simulation- Generally useful with 4 axis machine but very useful with complex winding head geometries on 6 axis machines/robots
- Fibre Trajectory/Mandrel self intersection detection integrated into 3D viewing - useful for elbow and tees and other complex geometries
- Simulation capture and encoding as MPEG movie
- Simulation view capture as Bitmap files
- Multi-bend ducts Options added to elbows package - for a vastly increased range of pipe bend geometries
- Additional language support. 98% of internal text in dialogs, messages and menus is from the external language file.
- Unicode language file support for language files in any character set
- Several language files included with the standard installation
- Command line option for default language file added ( /lang txt-file-name )
- Command line Option for default winding machine settings file added. ( /machine sm-file-name )
- Menu options reduced and simplified e.g. post process only shows options relevant to the winding machine selected.
- The Cadfil Text window, is now an independent console window. With many users having large/wide screens and multiple displays this gives more freedom to size and position the Windows in a way that suits the user.
- The Cadfil Windows sizes and positions can be saved as a user preference to use when the program is run another time.
- A wider range of information is now given to the Cadfil text window which has a large scroll buffer. By right clicking on the text winding and selecting "Select All" and then pressing The "Enter" key the contents of the text window go to the Copy buffer and can be then Pasted into a text file or email etc.
- Scaling factor for feed rate for each axis added.
- User defined composite command strings ($USER-DEF-1, $USER-DEF-2, ... ) for greater flexibility and to avoid repetition in winding machine configurations (SM files)
- Additional post-process configuration modes for Kuka Robots
- Additional post-process configuration modes for ABB Robots
- Fibre band twist and shear analysis and diagnostics added to post-processor output
- $TOOL-ASK,$TOOL-DEFAULT, $TOOL-MAX-NUM added for Robot support
- Additional functionality for path filtering
- "autofib" added the "pbatch" parametric options.
- Code optimisation/vectorisation to speed calculations
- Non-moving machine parts (Static Scene) such (e.g. headstock) can be imported from 3D cad systems STL file.(9.04)
- Static Scene can be used in 3D simulation and clash detection(9.04)
- New Parametric options for making Pipe Reducers (9.07).
- Support for longer file name rather than the "8.3" limit (9.07).
- Support for Binary STL files added (ASCII already supported) (9.07)
- Additional and improved features for Post Process output for accumulated material length and mass(9.07)
- Additional parameter (e.g band pattern selected) data added to .pay files for history traceability(9.07)
An additional there are many small changes, improvements and bug fixes. Our philosophy is to maintaining the general usage of the program such that an old user does not have to re-learn how to do things!
Updated: June 2016